The Raw Cooked Vegan

Thursday, October 6, 2011

Hearty Vegan Chili



The weather here in sunny Florida has given us a taste of fall, if only for a few days. The early morning temps were hovering around 64 beautiful degrees, which I consider officially fall.

Just to give you a mental image, after getting in my car late this afternoon, I had to crank the air up full blast after the sun heated it to 98 plus degrees. But this evening, I entered my 76 degree house and pretended it was chilly outside once again. What better food to make on a chilly day than chili? 

This is perhaps a success story of vegan chili. I LOVE chili and have made several prior attempts at a vegetarian version, which ended up being choked down by me and only me. HOWEVER...this version, my family actually liked it! This recipe is definitely going to be in my future cookbook because it is great!

Hearty Vegan Chili

1 24oz jar/can of strained organic tomatoes, no salt added
1/3 cup water
2 small onions, sliced thin
5 mini red and yellow bell peppers, or 1 large, chopped
1 can organic red kidney beans, mashed
1 medium russet baked potato (cooked), diced
1/2 cup your favorite mild or spicy salsa from a jar
2 tsp sea salt, divided
2 tsp vegan Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin seeds, crushed
2-3 garlic cloves, minced
1 TBS olive oil, plus 1/2 TBS
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
1/2 tsp black pepper

In a large stock pot, heat 1 TBS olive oil over medium heat. Add onions, bell peppers, cumin, 1 tsp sea salt and chili powder.

While onions and peppers simmer, drain and rinse kidney beans and transfer to medium bowl. Add remaining 1 tsp sea salt, pepper, smoked paprika and 1/2 TBS olive oil. Mash beans with a potato masher or fork until mostly creamed (you will still see some portions of beans with skin).

Add mashed bean mixture to simmering onions and peppers. Stir, breaking up bean mixture. Add minced garlic. Cook another 5 minutes. Stir in cooked diced potato. Add strained tomatoes, water and salsa. Let simmer 20 minutes. Remove from heat and let set, covered for half an hour.







2 comments:

jd said...

I love the idea of adding a potato to chili - I've never done it, but any excuse to consume more potatoes is a good one in my book :)

Yum!

Marlena Cipriano Torres said...

Wow, this looks delicious! Thanks for sharing, I love chili, but I don't love beans. It's nice to see a chili recipe that is not overloading with them!