The Raw Cooked Vegan

Sunday, October 2, 2011

Cream of Coconut Biscuits


Vegan MoFo Month




Moist, flaky biscuits! I had no idea what I was doing or how these would come out, but I was pleasantly surprised when they were delicious!

My first thought was to find a basic recipe, 2 cups flour, 2 tsp baking powder, etc. Then my thoughts wandered to that creamed coconut box in my cupboard. Yes, coconut would give it the fat to make it moist! So voila!

I used 100% organic creamed coconut. No fillers, nada. It looks like a big block of shortening, with separation of the oil from the coconut meat. The oil, which is very white, is soft and can be scooped out first. The coconut meat is hard and can be softened with hot water, or grated into the recipe. Ideally, you can add 1/2 cup hot water to both and cream all of it together.

By the way, this is really inexpensive. You can find it on Amazon if you cannot locate it in your local stores.






Cream of Coconut Biscuits
2 cups unbleached organic flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 (7oz) box of creamed coconut
1/2 cup hot water
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 (more or less) vanilla or plain almond milk
1 tsp white vinegar

Empty creamed coconut into medium bowl. Add hot water and stir until combined.
In large bowl, sift flour, baking powder and salt. Add the 1 tsp vinegar to the almond milk.
Add creamed coconut and almond milk to flour mixture. Mix thoroughly until a non-sticky dough forms (add more almond milk if too dry).

Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line cookie sheet with parchment paper.

Roll dough out to 1/4 inch thick and cut biscuits out with round cookie cutter or use an upside down cup. Line biscuits on parchment paper and bake for 10 minutes, then flip and bake another 5 to 6 minutes.




3 comments:

Sarah said...

These look amazing. My VeganMoFo is all about bread - I think I'll add these to the list! :)

B.A.D. said...

Man more biscuits! These sound divine, are they super rich and almost sweet?

I've never had coconut cream, but I'm a sucker for anything coconut.

Jen said...

Yes, they are rich and have a bit of sweetness to them. I'm really surprised at how well they came out. The texture is like condensed cake, sweet and salty. I love everything coconut as well.