The Raw Cooked Vegan

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Berry Vegan Pie

Vegan Mofo Month



I was so craving pie and this is my attempt at it without having a plan. I would have definitely used a ready-made pie crust, but there was no sign of one in my house. So I fell back on my galette crust as a make shift one for this pie. I was impatient, so I didn't chill the crust and just plopped several pieces of dough on the top layer. Well, it worked well enough...I got a delicious pie!

Berry Vegan Pie
10oz frozen mixed berries
1 cup frozen whole cranberries
1 and 1/2 cups natural sugar
1 TBS corn starch
1 TBS cold water
2 tsp lemon juice
2 TBS chia seeds (natural thickener)
Double frozen pie crusts-thawed, or galette crust recipe (doubled)

If you use the galette crust recipe, I recommend baking it in a spring form pan.

In a strainer, rinse mixed berries and cranberries under running water. Transfer to a medium saucepan. Heat berries over medium heat, stirring until they start to steam. Stir in sugar and let simmer for 10 minutes, crush cranberries with a spoon against side of pan.

Mix corn starch and water together until smooth. Add to berries. Add lemon juice and simmer another five to ten minutes until mixture starts to thicken. Remove from heat and stir in chia seeds. Set pan aside and let cool.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Pour cooled berry mixture into prepared crust. Cover top of berry mixture with second prepared crust, trimming edges. Poke holes in top if crust completely covers pie.

Bake for 45 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool completely. Chill.


3 comments:

Andy Dufresne said...

Looks beautiful and sounds delightful!

vegan.in.brighton said...

Yum , I love pie.

celyn said...

That is so pretty!