The Raw Cooked Vegan

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Balsamic Caramelized Cipollini Onions

Vegan Mofo Month


A good friend of mine had a bag full of Cipollini onions. She was intending on pickling them, but had not got around to it and kindly gave them to me. I was intending on pickling them too, but my need for speed got the best of me. I wanted to eat them right away! 

Oh, they were so very delicious. My daughter and I ate every one of them (sorry, friend, I would have brought you some, but we devoured them right after I took the photographs).

I promise to make them again, in an even bigger batch! Definitely a five star rating in my book.

Balsamic Caramelized Cipollini Onions
1 pound of Cipollini onions, outer layer peeled, left whole
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup aged Balsamic Vinegar
1/4 cup cream sherry
1/2 tsp sea salt
fresh ground pepper
2 TBS olive oil

In large skillet, heat olive oil over medium to medium high heat. Add onions, salt and pepper and cook about 10 or 15 minutes until slightly brown. Add cream sherry, stirring to coat all onions.  

While onions are cooking, heat a small sauce pan over medium heat. Add brown sugar and Balsamic vinegar. Bring to boil, stirring frequently until sugar is dissolved.

Add balsamic mixture to hot onions in onion pan. Keep heat to medium and cook until liquid is reduced and thickened.

This would be delicious over any dish!

3 comments:

Rande McDaniel said...

Yummers!

Lacey said...

Hey there! I love your blog and so I awarded you a Liebster Award. I hope you don't mind, I pulled a photograph from your site to illustrate why I think your work is great. Pass on the vegan love!

Jen said...

Thanks Lacey! I so appreciate it!