The Raw Cooked Vegan

Friday, September 2, 2011

Southern Vegan Collard Greens



Living in Florida, I have had some down-right authentic Southern food! But that was a long time ago (we're talking 1980's-and before I was vegan). When I say Southern food, I  mean things like grits, biscuits, collard greens, black-eyed peas, roast p**k, Cuban sandwiches, Cuban toast and Cuban coffee.

In my teens, I worked for the blood bank, traveling on the blood mobile to all kinds of interesting places! All our staff would be fed meals when available, and the ones I remember most, were the southern Baptist churches. They had feasts like no other. The collard greens were something I tasted for the first time and absolutely loved! Of course, I had no idea how they made them (although I have a feeling I wouldn't duplicate that recipe today), but it sure made an impression on me.

I haven't cooked collard greens before, but when I saw some fresh organic collard green leaves at my co-op, I just had to have them and make them vegan!

Well, this was a good thing. I looked up how to cook them (40 minutes) and found this recipe based on one from Food Network.  If you like collards, and you are vegan, give this a go and you won't be disappointed!

Southern Vegan Collard Greens
1 pound collard greens, washed and sliced thin
1 TBS olive oil
1 TBS Earth Balance Spread
1/2 large onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, chopped fine
Dash or two of cayenne pepper, or Tabasco
1 and 1/2 tsp molasses
1 large tomato, chopped
2 and 1/2 cups vegetable stock
Sea salt and pepper

In a large stock pot, heat olive oil and Earth Balance over medium heat. Saute the onion until soft (about 5 minutes), then add the garlic and cayenne. Stir. Add the chopped collards and cook, stirring for about 5 more minutes.

Add the vegetable broth and cover, reducing heat to med low. Simmer 40 minutes. Add chopped tomato and turn heat off. Let set for at least half an hour.




No comments: