The Raw Cooked Vegan

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Veggie Burger with Black Beans, Quinoa and Lentils


I've been thinking a lot lately about what would make the best veggie burger. I've had good ones and not-so-good ones. So, I wanted to create one with ingredients that were high in protein as well as highly nutritious.

I recommend using pink/orange lentils because they break down and mash together and will help hold the patty together.


Veggie Burgers with Black Beans, Quinoa and Lentils

1/2 cup white quinoa, soaked 10 minutes, then rinsed (skip this step if using pre-rinsed quinoa)
1/2 cup pink lentils, rinsed (do not use brown/green or black lentils)
1 cup water

1 medium onion, chopped fine
1 celery stalk, chopped fine
1 and 1/2 TBS olive oil
5-6 drops liquid smoke
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp sea salt
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 can Eden black beans, drained and rinsed
2 TBS chia seeds
3 TBS nutritional yeast
3 TBS fresh parsley leaves, chopped
1 tsp fresh rosemary, chopped

In a medium saucepan, bring 1 cup water to a boil. Add lentils and quinoa together. Bring back to boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer 12 to 15 minutes. Remove from heat, set aside (drain any excess water).

In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat and add onion and celery, salt, pepper and liquid smoke. Cook until onion and celery start to soften and onion becomes translucent. Add black beans and minced garlic to onion mixture and "mash" beans with a potato masher until most are crushed. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.

In large bowl, combine onion and black bean mixture with quinoa and lentils. Stir in nutritional yeast, chia seeds, parsley and rosemary. Taste and season with sea salt and pepper if desired.



Form into patties on wax paper. Chill at least an hour. Heat 3 TBS olive oil in skillet over med to med-high heat. Pan saute patty about 3 to 5 minutes on each side, until browned and slightly crisp.



Serve with lettuce, tomato, or salsa! Yum.

6 comments:

Lisa Vega said...

This was extremely good!

CKRookwood said...

I LOVED these burgers! I made them again yesterday with dried black beans. I soaked them fro 5 hours then boiled them for 20 min but they weren't tender enough to mash. I put the whole mix in the food processor but the mixture is too dry to hold together. Any ideas of how to make it hold up when I use dry beans instead of canned? Or maybe I just didn't let them soak or cook them long enough.

Jen said...

Oh, sorry that happened! Sounds like you soaked them long enough, but the cooking time for dried black beans is around 45 minutes to an hour to become tender. Refrain from adding salt while cooking, this will make them tough. Also, I cooked the pink lentils to a "mushy-like" consistency which helped to moisten the mix. Hope that helps!

CKRookwood said...

Thanks Jen! I added a little bit of vegetarian chili to them and that made them too moist! (Can you believe I still have the mix in the fridge?) I guess I'm just trouble shooting now bc I hate to let it all go to waste. Tomorrow I plan on adding bread crumbs little by little until they hold together and then hopefully they will work fine!

Jen said...

Adding bread crumbs sounds like a good idea. You might be on to something fantastic!

Anonymous said...

Instead of adding smoke drops (whatever they are!) try adding a pinch of smoked paprika! MEGA YUM!