The Raw Cooked Vegan

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Veggie Tortilla Lasagna


Well, it's been awhile since I last posted, but recently got inspired when I came across a stack of my old Cooking Light magazines (they date back to the 1990's!). I saw a veggie lasagna issue and even though every recipe called for cheese, I found it easy to make it vegan. I didn't have lasagna noodles, so I figured if lasagna can be made with noodles or bread, why not tortillas? I was experimenting here and had to make sure it was good enough to post, and it came out delicious! The tortilla's came out very much like noodles with a semi-chewy texture. Everyone loved it!

Over the weekend, we went to the Farmer's Market in St. Pete and loaded up on organic veggies. The lasagna ingredients were eggplant, pattypan squash, sweet onion, arugula, tomato-basil tortillas, tomato sauce and fresh tomatoes.
I didn't end up using the red cabbage or roasted red peppers.

The onions and pattypan squash were sliced thin and pan sauteed in a skillet using a generous amount of olive oil and coarse sea salt and pepper. The eggplant was sliced thin and brushed with olive oil, balsamic vinegar and fresh minced garlic and cooked on an electric grill (you can also pan saute).

I used two and a half (8 inch) tomato-basil soft tortilla's cut as shown in picture above (total of 8 strips). Discard the small ends and leave out one full strip.
Before baking
Using a 7 x 9 rectangular glass (or metal) pan. Add layers as follows:

Layer 1:  1/4 cup of tomato sauce (I used organic spaghetti sauce)
Layer 2:  2 strips of soft tortilla laid lengthwise
Layer 3:  Sliced squash topped with sauteed onions
Layer 4:  2 more tortilla strips, spooned with sauce over each tortilla, then squash, arugula, and eggplant
Layer 5:  2 more tortilla strips, spooned with sauce, onions, eggplant and arugula
Layer 6:  Last 2 strips of tortilla topped with a little sauce and sliced fresh tomatoes. Sprinkle with dried oregano.

Cover with foil and bake in 375 degree oven for 25 minutes. Take off foil and bake another 10 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool.

Note: Eggplant, onions and squash are pre-cooked before baking lasagna.

1 comment:

Jen said...

FYI~I didn't use a lot of tomato sauce. The veggies are the star in this dish. When layering, I spooned a "line" of sauce (maybe 3 tablespoons). You don't want the veggies soaked in sauce, it will over power the whole dish.