The Raw Cooked Vegan

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Green Smoothies!


The green smoothie.

"What's in a green smoothie?" Well, you will get a different answer depending on who you ask. Everyone has their favorite ingredients, but the one thing that remains consistent in a green smoothie is greens. By greens, I mean spinach, kale, chard, avocados, wild edibles, lettuce, parsley, basil, arugula, spirulina, chlorella or supergreens powder.

Perhaps the most important thing in making a good green smoothie is to make it TASTE GOOD!  Compliment the greens with a fruit, like banana, pear, apple, grapes, blueberries, pineapple, raspberries, oranges, melon, strawberries, etc. You can use fruit juice as the liquid binder, but I recommend water or coconut juice.

My favorite fruit to use is bananas. I use them most because they compliment the greens to my liking. If my bananas happen to be really ripe, I'll use just half and freeze the the rest for the next one (I also peel and freeze several from a bunch if they are ripening too quickly before I use them all).

If you hate the taste of chard or arugula, don't use those greens. Use greens that you normally eat and like. My personal favorite is spinach, kale, spirulina and chlorella powder. I also add hemp seeds and chia seeds for extra nutrition.

Experiment until you find the perfect mix. All you need is a blender.

 
Here are a few of my favorite Green smoothies:

Spinach Banana Smoothie
1 bunch washed organic spinach leaves (about 1 cup packed)
1 banana
1 cup coconut juice or water, chilled
2 TBS hemp seeds
1 tsp chia seeds

Place in Blender and blend on high speed for several minutes.

Chlorella Smoothie (pictured)
1/2 large ripe banana
1 cup coconut juice or water, chilled
2 TBS hemp seeds
1 tsp chia seed
1 tsp chlorella powder

Pina Colada Green Smoothie
1 banana
1/2 cup fresh pineapple (or 1/4 cup juice)
3/4 cup young Thai coconut pulp (or 1/2 cup coconut juice)
2 TBS hemp seeds
1 bunch washed organic spinach leaves (about 1 cup packed)


Note: Coconut juice is available at most health food stores. I love "Amy and Brian" brand below.



Also, if you are lucky enough to find young Thai coconuts and have no fear of cracking one open for the juice and pulp meat, by all means do it. If you have never opened a young Thai coconut, then I highly recommend you watch a YouTube video on how to do so before trying. I did.

No comments: