The Raw Cooked Vegan

Monday, December 27, 2010

Ultimate Vegan Nachos



I took this picture in the evening, which explains the color tone (you picture-foodies know what I'm talking about).

These are my Ultimate Vegan Nachos, bursting with intense, fresh flavor. I used black beans flavored with just a bit of olive oil and small potent detail...smoked black pepper.

I found this wonderful store at Tampa's International Mall, called The Spice and Tea Exchange. I was mesmerized with all the hard-to-find spices! I bought green cardamom pods, whole nutmeg, smoked black pepper and ancho chili powder. (Probably the best four spices I've bought in a long time). The smoked black pepper is what I used in the black beans. It gave it a wonderful smoky flavor.

Ultimate Vegan Nachos

1/2 can Eden organic black beans
1/4 cup yellow onion, diced
1 cup romaine lettuce, chopped
1/2 pint organic grape tomatoes, chopped
2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
1 green onion (green part only) chopped fine
10 green or ripe olives, chopped
1 1/2 tsp olive oil
1/4 tsp smoked black pepper
1/4 tsp sea salt
Tostitos Organic Blue Corn Chips

Dice onion and place in small bowl. Add 1/2 tsp olive oil and salt and smoked pepper. Set aside.

Rinse black beans under cold water. Transfer to bowl. Mash slightly with a fork. Add 1 tsp olive oil and salt and smoked pepper. Set aside.

Arrange blue chips on plate. Add black beans first, chopped yellow onions, jalapenos, green onions, tomatoes, olives and lettuce.

You can serve with your favorite salsa, or just as is (which I found perfect).


No comments: