The Raw Cooked Vegan

Saturday, November 27, 2010

Garlic Basil Tart Dough


This is an awesome tart dough recipe I found at Ezrapoundcake.com. It was adapted from The Complete Italian Vegetarian Cookbook by Jack Bishop. It calls for real butter, but I used Earth Balance and it came out wonderful!

I've always wanted to make a savory tomato tart and I know there are so many different ways to put one together. It's just a bit tricky to make it vegan, so when I found this crust recipe, I knew I could finally experiment. So here is the recipe for the crust, and the next post (click here) will be the awesome potato tomato tart I made with it!

Garlic Basil Tart Dough
1/3 cup fresh basil leaves
1 medium garlic clove
1 and 1/4 cups unbleached all purpose flour
1/2 tsp kosher salt
8 TBS Earth Balance Buttery Spread (well chilled)
4 to 5 TBS iced water

In food processor, add basil and garlic. Process until finely chopped. Add flour and salt. Pulse to combine.

Add Earth Balance and pulse until pea-sized crumbs. Add water, 1 tablespoon at a time. Process until mixture forms a dough ball. Add more water if necessary.

Remove dough from processor. Flatten into a 5 inch disk. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for at least 1 hour (or up to several days).


After taking out of the fridge; I'm ready to roll it.
Remove dough from refrigerator and place on lightly floured surface. roll into a 12 inch circle working quickly. Add flour to top if it sticks to rolling pin.

Use a flat spatula to lift the dough up and into a tart pan or spring form pan (I used a 9 inch spring form).

Flatten crust with fingers working evenly and work up sides about an inch or so.

Poke bottom of dough several times with a toothpick and bake at 350 degrees in preheated oven for 10 minutes. Remove and let cool.

No comments: