The Raw Cooked Vegan

Monday, November 15, 2010

Braised Romaine



I thought I was on to something here, but apparently braising romaine is nothing new. I was utterly impressed with myself after risking my prized romaine hearts to the burner. After tasting this, I decided I would cook the whole package!

This is absolutely delicious and I believe it will be a hit as a side for my Thanksgiving dinner! It is definitely worth a try if you've never had this. So simple and super fast.

Braised Romaine

1 Heart of Romaine (or 2, or 3...)
1 TBS Olive Oil
Sea salt and lots of fresh ground pepper
Dash of rice vinegar (1/2 tsp or so)
Slivered almonds

Wash and pat dry Romaine. Cut off hard end and slice once down the middle, lengthwise so that most of the leaves stay together.

Heat oil in large skillet over med-high heat. Add sea salt and pepper (it should sizzle a bit). Lay Romaine halves cut side down and press with a spatula. Braise for about 3 or 4 minutes, flip and press down again. Remove after another minute or two (you still want a slight crispness).

Drizzle rice vinegar across the top and sprinkle on sliced almonds. That's it!



NOTE: If making several romaine hearts, repeat the oil and salt and pepper between each one.


No comments: