The Raw Cooked Vegan

Monday, November 8, 2010

Apple Carrot Pancakes


What started off as a quest for a healthy waffle, ended up a delicious, healthy pancake. I did quite a bit of experimenting. The waffle iron I received as a gift from my Mom was begging to be used. I used it a few times over the years, and when my husband challenged me to create a healthy waffle, I went for it.

Here's what happened on the second batch:




This not only stuck, but I had to pour water into the grooves to soften it and then painstakingly clear it out with a rubber spatula. I read the booklet that it came with and tried everything! This non-stick electric beast was sticking a third and fourth time (sorry Mom).

So, I ended up with wonderful, crispy pancakes!

Apple Carrot Pancakes

3/4 cup walnuts, ground fine in food processor
1 and 1/2 cups carrots, processed in food processor
1 cup apple, diced small
Dash of cinnamon

1 and 3/4 cup all-purpose flour or gluten-free flour 

1 tsp baking soda
1 and 1/4 cups rice milk
3 TBS sunflower or vegetable oil

Process walnut and carrots separately. Add to bowl. Add chopped apple and sprinkle with cinnamon.

In another bowl, combine flour, baking soda, rice milk and oil. Mix well. Add carrot/apple/walnut mixture and stir to combine.

Heat skillet over medium heat with 1/2 tsp oil. Make sure pan is hot before adding batter. You know what to do...flip and serve!

Makes around ten 5" pancakes.

These are freezable. Let pancakes cool on a cooling rack, then layer with a piece of parchment paper in between each pancake and store in ziploc. You can actually put them right in the toaster to re-heat.







2 comments:

vegan.in.brighton said...

Those look like great pancakes.

Jen said...

Just a note about the pancakes...It works great in a cast-iron skillet or PFOA-free teflon pan (green pan).