The Raw Cooked Vegan

Friday, October 1, 2010

Spanish Bean Soup



Well, as I promised, here is my Spanish Bean Soup recipe! Living in Florida, you find Spanish bean soup and Cuban sandwiches around every corner. I've had some of the best Spanish bean soup living here but since becoming vegan, I haven't really found anyone who makes a meatless version. Oh, wait a minute...I do now!

Honestly, this one turned out DELICIOUS! I added kale to this recipe because...well, I had an abundance of kale and I actually like kale. That's why you see it in so many of my recipes. It's also really good sauteed in olive oil with salt and pepper. Pretty simple for a side green.

Confession Alert: I have to admit, my first batch of Spanish bean soup was a bit of a disaster because I put a teaspoon of red pepper (cayenne) instead of paprika (whoops). Wow. Hot city. They look identical in the jars! But when you don't READ the label carefully...you end up with awfulness (is that a word?). I couldn't even tell if the other flavors in the soup were tasty. There is obviously only one thing to do in that situation...START OVER.

Okay, here are some of my recommendations on making this soup. First, I highly recommend "Better than Bouillon" vegetable base. This gave my soup a really nice flavor, especially when simmered with cumin, oregano and garlic.
  
 

Second, I recommend garlic powder as opposed to fresh minced. In recipes that are simmered in broth, I think it just flavors it more intensely, without the fresh garlic "bite". You can find some really good, potent organic garlic powder at your local health food store, or maybe even your main grocery store if they carry organic herbs and spices.

Third, I definitely advise you to saute the potatoes and onions until they are nicely browned. I added this last to the soup, right before serving it. That way, the potatoes aren't boiled into blandness. There you have it. Delicious, vegan Spanish Bean Soup!

Spanish Bean Soup

3 medium russet potatoes, scrubbed, peeled, diced small (1/2 in cubes)
2 medium onions, diced small
2 TBS olive oil
2 TBS Earth Balance buttery spread
Salt and pepper to taste

6 cups of water
5 tsp Better Than Bouillon vegetable base
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp dried oregano (or Italian seasoning)
2 and 1/2 cups of cooked chickpeas (or canned)

2 large kale leaves, deveined and chopped

In a large stock pot, add water, bouillon, paprika, cumin, garlic and oregano. Simmer on medium heat for 30 minutes. Add chickpeas and kale 1/2 way through.

While broth is simmering, heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium to med-high heat. Add diced potatoes and onions. Salt and pepper to taste. When potatoes start to stick, stir in Earth Balance. Cook until potatoes are done and it's nice and browned. Scrape all the bits from the bottom of pan and make sure to put this in the soup!

When broth is finished, remove from heat and stir in potato and onion mixture. Serve.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

a winner!