The Raw Cooked Vegan

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Smoky Split Pea Stew


I based this recipe from one I found in February's Vegetarian Times. It was originally named 'Smoky split pea soup' but I found that after I made mine, it resembled stew. I improvised with several ingredients. For example, it called for one teaspoon of canned chipotle chile in adobo sauce. Well, I didn't have that, but I did have a jar of medium chipotle salsa in my cupboard. I also replaced one 14oz can of diced tomatoes with 5 sundried tomatoes. It also called for soaking the split peas overnight. Split peas don't usually require pre-soaking so I didn't (perhaps that's why it came out like stew?). Well, regardless of all the improvising, I was quite happy when it came out tasting FABULOUS!

Truthfully, everyone loved it and one family member actually said it tasted like there was meat in it (no honey, you were chewing sundried tomatoes).

Oh yes, one last thing. I highly recommend smoked paprika. I can't believe I haven't used this stuff before!

Smoky Split Pea Stew

1 cup split green peas
2 TBS olive oil
1 tsp smoked paprika
2 TBS medium Chipotle salsa
1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced (3 cups)
2 medium sweet onions, diced (3 cups)
3 ribs of celery, diced (1 cup)
4 cloves of garlic, minced
5 sundried tomatoes in oil, cut into small strips (I hydrate my own and coat with olive oil, sliced garlic and sea salt)
sea salt and pepper to taste

6 cups water
2 tsp Better than Bouillon vegetable base

Rinse split peas thoroughly in a strainer (you can soak them for several hours or overnight if you want). Heat oil in large stock pot over medium heat. Add paprika and chipotle salsa and stir. Add diced sweet potatoes, onions and celery. Stir and season with salt/pepper. Cover and cook 10 to 15 minutes until onions are soft and translucent. Add garlic. Saute 2 minutes.

Add drained split peas to pot with the 6 cups of water and 2 tsp veggie bouillon. Bring to boil then reduce heat and simmer 45 minutes. Add sundried tomatoes and simmer another 15-20 minutes until peas are tender. Remove from heat and let set, covered for at least 30 minutes.

If you make this dish, please let me know how it turns out for you! I would be interested to know if you loved it as much as we did, or if you improvised ingredients with anything else.




No comments: