The Raw Cooked Vegan

Monday, October 25, 2010

Black Bean and Corn Salad


A year or two ago, I decided to make "custom" cookbooks for my family members and good friends. I bought these small, rectangular photo albums and printed out 30 or 40 of my favorite recipes with pictures. Well, the other night, I got a phone call from someone who received one of them asking about a small detail for one of the recipes. It was the Black Bean and Corn Salad. Wait a minute...I forgot about that one...what a great one to put on my blog!   

Anyone reading this who happened to receive one of my cookbooks, may or may not have this recipe...or you may have a different version of it since I love to tweak, change and ad-lib so much (sorry, that's just the way I am!)

Anyway, here is the version I have in my own (now tattered) custom cookbook:

Black Bean and Corn Salad

2 cups cooked black beans (or 1 to 2 cans, drained and rinsed)
3 cups organic frozen corn, thawed (or 4 fresh cobs-blanched)
1 cup cooked chickpeas (or canned)
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 sweet onion, diced
2 jalapeno peppers, chopped (seeds and white membranes removed)
8 to 10 sundried tomato halves in oil, snipped into strips
1 bunch of fresh cilantro, chopped (2 or 3 TBS)

Dressing:
4 TBS extra virgin olive oil
2 tsp ground cumin
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp salt (use 1/2 tsp if using canned beans)
Juice of 1 lemon or lime (about 2-1/2 TBS)

In a large bowl, combine all ingredients except dressing.

In a medium sized, lidded jar, combine dressing ingredients and shake thoroughly to combine (or whisk in a bowl). Pour over bean and corn mixture. Toss gently. Let marinate for at least 2 hours in refrigerator.


 PS: The question my family member had about this recipe was "could you exchange fresh tomatoes for sundried" (Yes!) and how much 1 bunch of cilantro was (in my mind it was about 2 to 3 TBS) not the 'whole' bunch (sorry). 

My Version of "Bunch"

I also recommend if you are making this a day ahead of time and are using fresh tomatoes, to wait and add them about an hour before serving. Refrigeration tends to make the tomatoes lose their flavor.

No comments: