The Raw Cooked Vegan

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Cashew Raw Slaw


This is a raw salad with shredded cabbage, carrots, kale and slivered almonds. I made it with a raw cashew dressing, which is fabulous on other raw crunchy salads too, like broccoli and cauliflower. You can also add so many more things to this dish, like apples, raisins, jicama, whatever! I used green cabbage, but you can also use Savoy or Napa.

The cabbage in this dish makes it a good source of vitamin K, and vitamin C. I have to admit, I love cabbage, and the good thing about making it raw, as opposed to cooking it, is you don't have to put up with all the moans and groans of other members in your household!  I think you know what I mean...but don't get me wrong, I LOVE cooked cabbage too.

I originally was going to shred it all in my food processor with the shred blade, but decided to hand chop it all instead. I thought it would make a better visual.

Cashew Raw Slaw

1/2 large Green Cabbage, chopped
4-5 Carrots, julienned/matchtick cut
4 large kale leaves, chopped into small pieces
1/2 cup slivered almonds



Cashew Dressing
1 cup raw cashews
3 TBS brown rice syrup* or agave or honey**
2 TBS apple cider vinegar
2 TBS lemon juice
3/4 tsp sea salt
1/4 cup water

* Not a raw food

**Not considered vegan




Thinly slice cabbage into strips. Then matchstick carrots. Chop kale leaves, removing hard center vein. Add to bowl.

In food processor or blender, add cashews, brown rice syrup, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, salt and a one TBS of the water (add all of the water if you are using a blender). Process, adding the rest of the water down the chute. Blend until creamy.
Pour dressing over cabbage mixture. Add slivered almonds and mix thoroughly. Chill for 30 minutes.