The Raw Cooked Vegan

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

BBQ Baked Beans


Well, this went over really well with my daughters! I packed a little in their lunch today and they wanted it for dinner too! Success!

I wanted to make as close a version to the baked beans I remember as a child. Sweet, tangy and tomatoey. I put carrots in it, but wasn't sure if it was necessary. So I asked the consumers: Both my daughters thought the carrots were good. Okay, carrots stay.

This recipe makes a big batch. I started from dried red beans I bought from bulk and ended up with a total of 7 cups of cooked beans. Of course I forgot to measure the dried beans...but I calculated it afterwards: 3 cups of dried beans should equal 7 cups cooked. Or you can use 4 cans of beans (easy).

BTW: I use organic ingredients

BBQ Baked Beans

7 cups cooked red or cannellini beans (about four 15oz cans drained/rinsed)
2 medium sweet onions, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
2 med carrots, chopped
1 (28oz) can whole plum tomatoes, drained (reserve juice) and chopped
1 TBS olive oil

1 cup ketchup
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup molasses
2 TBS maple syrup (the real stuff)
2 tsp worcestershire sauce
1 tsp dried ground mustard
1/2 tsp sea salt

1/4 cup apple cider
2 small apples (macintosh or granny)

Bean soaking method: (skip this if you are using canned beans)
Rinse beans and soak in large bowl covered with water over night. Drain and rinse well. In large pot, add beans and fresh water to cover 2-3 inches over beans. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer half covered with lid for 45 minutes until tender, but not mushy. Drain beans.

Add beans to large bowl. Add tomatoes. Set aside.

In large skillet, heat 1/2 TBS olive oil over med heat. Saute onions until soft and starting to brown. Remove from pan and add to beans. In same pan, heat the remaining 1/2 TBS olive oil and saute the bell peppers and carrots until slightly soft (about 10 minutes). Add to beans.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Rub a 13 x 9 glass pan with olive oil.

In a blender, add reserved tomato juice, ketchup, brown sugar, molasses, maple syrup, mustard, worcestershire and salt. Blend for about 5 minutes to make sure it's mixed well. Pour mixture over beans and stir to combine. Pour beans into baking pan. Cover with foil.

Bake for 1 hour, 30 minutes. Remove from oven. Take off foil and carefully add chopped apples and apple cider. Stir. Bake uncovered for 45 to 60 minutes more. Remove and let set to cool completely.


This is even better the next day. Cold or reheated. Yum!

2 comments:

lisakvega said...

This dish looks absolutely wonderful!! I can't wait to make it.

Jen said...

Let me know if you make it and how it turns out for you!