The Raw Cooked Vegan

Saturday, August 7, 2010

Kitchen Essentials

I recycle jars and they come in handy for mixing dressings, sauces and marinades.
These are the tools I use the most and make my life so much easier! My citrus hand juicer, garlic press, big knife, wooden spoon, kitchen shears, mortar & pestle and spice grinder.
I have a collection of raw and vegan cookbooks. My fave is Alicia Silverstones book. After being vegetarian for over a year, I read her book and it completely convinced me to go vegan. Ani Phyo's book is great too. She has some fantastic raw food recipes that I just love.
Other things in my kitchen that I absolutely need is my food processor. I have two, a Cuisinart and Kitchen Aid. I really like the old Cuisinart because it's lighter and quick to get out and put away. The Kitchen Aid is bigger and less likely to spatter when making liquidy things. So I'm glad I have both. The KA was also a gift for mother's day!
For raw foods, I have an Excalibur dehydrator, a Breville juicer and mandoline-type slicer. Although you don't necessarily need a mandoline (I bought mine at Williams Sonoma-a OXO hand held slicer for $14.95), it helps to quicken the cutting time. As for a dehydrator, it was an investment, but it makes the most awesome onion bread pita EVER! That recipe is coming up very soon.

No comments: