The Raw Cooked Vegan

Saturday, August 7, 2010

Hummus Perfection

Hello!
My first recipe post is Hummus. I absolutely love hummus. Being a vegan, it's really hard to find things to eat at restaurants and I'm always thrilled if hummus is on the menu because I can order it with a side of vegetables or a salad and just pour it on. Once, while on vacation, I ordered it for breakfast because it was the only vegan item on the menu, other than "instant oatmeal", eww.
I call this hummus perfection because after having made so many different versions (and some were very mediocre), I finally created this recipe and immediately wrote it down. I believe it is truly the best I have ever made. If I change even the smallest measurement or leave something out, it turns out less than perfect.
You will need a food processor and spice grinder.
Hummus Perfection Recipe
2 1/2 cups cooked garbanzo beans (or one 25oz can, drained & rinsed)
2 tsp ground cumin (I crush cumin seeds in a mortar & pestle)
2 jalapenos, seeds and white veins removed
4 TBS white sesame seeds, ground in spice grinder
1 tsp sea salt
2 TBS water
2 TBS red balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup olive oil
3 cloves of garlic, minced
In a spice grinder, add the sesame seeds and grind until seeds turn to paste, tapping side of grinder while grinding. Carefully scoop out paste and add to Food processor. Add remaining ingredients to processor and process, stopping once to scrape down sides. Continue to process hummus until smooth and creamy. Top with kalamata olives. Perfection!

1 comment:

lisakvega said...

This is the best hummus ever! Made it for a bridal shower and everyone loved it! It was the hit of all the food that was made!!