The Raw Cooked Vegan

Thursday, August 12, 2010

Grilled Marinated Tempeh

This is my grilled tempeh with hummus & roasted eggplant on lavash pita. Yum.


Sliced tempeh marinating...

After being grilled in panini maker

There are a lot of protien sources for vegans out there and tempeh has to be my favorite. Tempeh is made by fermenting soybeans with the Rhizopus mold. Not only does it contain protein, but also antioxidants, isoflavones, saponins, fiber, folic acid, potassium, iron and amino acids. I choose fermented soy over other soy products as much as possible for the health benefits.
Great for sandwiches, salads or use it as your main course. I usually pan saute it, but for this post, I used my panini maker.
Grilled Marinated Tempeh
1 8oz block of tempeh (I like flax)
3 TBS olive oil
1/4 cup tamari
2 TBS maple syrup (the REAL stuff)
2 TBS balsamic vinegar
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes

Cut Tempeh across into 2 inch strips. Cut each strip twice into thin layers. Lay tempeh pieces into shallow dish (I used a glass pie dish).

In a lidded jar, combine olive oil, tamari, maple syrup, vinegar and red pepper flakes. Shake well and pour over tempeh. Cover and let marinate several hours or overnight.

Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add tempeh pieces and saute until browned on both sides.

If using a panini maker (or Forman Grill), preheat and arrange tempeh pieces on grill and close. Cook 5 minutes. Careful, it cooks pretty fast. Transfer to serving dish. Store remaining in refrigerator.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Warning worst recipe ever! I'm sorry but I did really follow your recipe to the T. I had it marinate overnight the smell was awful and the taste was awful. Thanks for nothing

Jen said...

Wow, I've never had mine smell bad while marinating, or after grilling. I'm not sure why that happened...sorry your meal was wasted.