The Raw Cooked Vegan

Monday, August 16, 2010

Cast Iron Skillet Pita Bread

I am forever looking for the perfect pita or flat bread recipe.  I've come pretty close to a good pita recipe with this one. I cook it in a cast iron skillet, which cooks it in about 5 minutes. I kind of cheated by using my dough setting on my bread machine to knead and raise the dough, but I've also done it by hand lots of times. I prefer my machine only because it saves time! Just throw in the ingredients and set the button. You only have to check the dough ball and add either a little water, or flour to get it the right consistency.

Cast Iron Skillet Pita Bread
4-5 cups unbleached white flour
1 cup water
2 tsp yeast
1/2 TBS sea salt
2 TBS olive oil
1 tsp sesame seeds
1 tsp poppyseeds

If kneading by hand, dissolve yeast in 1 cup of slightly warm water until foamy (30 min). Combine dry ingredients, including seeds. In large bowl, mix flour mixture with yeast water and olive oil. Add more flour if necessary to get a smooth non-sticky dough. Cover bowl and set aside in warm area to rise for 1 hour. Turn dough on to a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth. Cover again to rise 1 hour.

If using a bread machine, add liquid ingredients first, then dry ingredients on top. Turn machine to dough setting and start. Watch dough ball carefully for the first 5 minutes, adding more flour if it's too sticky, or more water if it's too dry. You want a smooth-looking dough. Take out when cycle is complete.


Turn dough out onto floured surface and divide into 12 pieces. Lightly oil cast iron skillet with olive oil. Heat skillet to medium-high. Roll a piece flat with rolling pin, adding to pan while rolling the next. Flip pita after 2 to 3 minutes. Take out when puffy and slightly browned on edges. Tranfer to plate. Cover with towel until all pitas are finished.

You can cut these with a sharp knife along the edge to make a "pita pocket" and stuff with your favorite ingredients, like hummus or almond hummus, lettuce, avocado, tomato, sprouts, onions, etc. or just rip pieces off and dip into soup.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Jennifer,

I am loving these vegan posts! From firsthand experience I can tell you..the hummus you make is...TO DIE FOR!!!!! I just love love love it!

xoxoxo