The Raw Cooked Vegan

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Bruschetta


I threw this together one evening when my sister was over. She raved about it and insisted I write down the recipe for her. So I wrote it down, fresh from my memory, and gave it to her. After having long forgotten about it, I was with her one day when she served it to me. I raved about how good it was. After explaining to me that it was my recipe, I laughed and asked her for a copy.

That's pretty much a day in the life of how my kitchen works.

I don't often use canned tomatoes, but it happens to be what I used when I first made this recipe and it turns out great every time. Fresh would probably work well if you have luscious tomatoes.

Bruschetta
food processor recommended

1 28oz can organic whole, peeled tomatoes
3 TBS olive oil
2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 small onion, diced
4 TBS balsamic vinegar
1 tsp dried Italian seasoning
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp crushed rosemary
1/2 cup kalamata olives, chopped
Handful of fresh basil leaves, chopped

Heat olive oil in skillet over med heat. Add onions and garlic. Saute about 5 minutes until heated through. Do not over cook. Remove from heat and set aside. 

In food processor, Add tomatoes (with juice), Italian seasoning, salt, balsamic and rosemary. Pulse until chunky. Pour tomato mixture into a serving bowl. Stir in onions, kalamata olives and fresh basil.

Let marinate at room temp for at least 30 minutes. Serve on small toasts or toasted french bread.

No comments: